The MDI Biological Laboratory seeks to hire a Human Resources Generalist. The Human Resources Generalist is responsible for performing HR-related duties on a professional level and works closely with senior management in supporting institutional operations. This position carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: benefits administration, employee relations, new hire orientation/onboarding, training, performance management, policy implementation, recruitment, and employment law compliance. This position reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
1. Administers various human resource plans and procedures for all institutional personnel; assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains the employee handbook and the policies and procedures manual.
2. Participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems.
3. Administers the compensation program; monitors the performance evaluation program and revises as necessary.
4. Performs benefits administration, including claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment and communicating benefits information to employees.
5. Conducts recruitment effort for all exempt and nonexempt personnel, seasonal and temporary employees; conducts new-employee orientations; monitors career-pathing program; and writes and places advertisements.
6. Handles employee relations counseling, performance improvement plans and exit interviewing.
7. Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
8. Maintains company organization charts and the employee directory.
9. Assists in evaluation of reports, decisions and results of department in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to continually improve efficiency of the department and services performed.
10. Maintains human resource information system records and compiles reports from the database.
11. Maintains compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations.
• Conflict Management
• Change Management
• Dealing with “grey areas”
• Dual Focus
• Problem Solving
• Software (to include: calendar, email, Human Resources Information Systems and full Microsoft Office Suite)
• Bachelor’s degree and three to five years of HR experience;
• Master’s degree in HR management and two years of HR experience; or
• Seven years of HR experience, or any similar combination of education and experience.
• Professional in Human Resources (PHR, SPHR, GPHR) and/or SHRM Certified Professional credentials (SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP).
This is a full-time exempt position. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
The MDI Biological Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Location/Region: Salsbury Cove, ME (US - 04672)